Cemetery Church of St Margaret

Architectunknown

Construction1818–1820

AddressOstravská, in the cemetery grounds

This architecturally modest late-Baroque single-nave church with a slightly set-back chancel and a forward square tower was built in 1818–1820 with funds from the bequest of Mariana Laštůvková and gifts from Kryštof Kintzer (1754–1832), former prior of the dissolved Cistercian monastery at Rudy in Silesia. It is the third church on the site under the same dedication. It originally served the cemetery of Dlouhá Ves, which adjoined the town, eventually merging with it in the nineteenth century. The cemetery also served the inhabitants of Bobrovníky, Darkovičky, Vřesina, and Hlučín, although the townspeople continued to use the graveyard around the parish Church of St John the Baptist until 1805.

The first wooden Church of St Margaret was built here in 1538 by Kryštof of Zvole, but a century later (probably in 1638) it burned down completely. It was rebuilt in 1648 as an oriented timber-framed structure, later furnished with an altarpiece of St Margaret and statues of Saints Barbara and Catherine. This sanctuary too burned down during the great fire of Dlouhá Ves on 27 September 1802. Work on the present masonry church began in April 1818; it was consecrated in October 1820. The altarpiece of St Margaret was commissioned around 1820 by Kryštof Kintzer; paintings of the Crucifixion and the Resurrection for the side altars were ordered by the Hlučín parish priest Jáchym Richtarský (1830–1887) from the local painter Jan Bochenek (1831–1909) in the 1870s. In 1917, Father Hugo Stanke (1861–1921) considered an artistically ambitious Neo-Baroque refurbishment of the interior (to designs by the Wrocław architect Hanns Schlicht), but little was executed.

The church was destroyed by fire on 28 April 1945, during fighting at the end of the Second World War. Reconstruction began in 1946 to designs by the architect Josef Vysloužil of Ostrava-Radvanice, but the original architectural elements and interior fittings were greatly simplified.

Other sacral monuments in Hlučín